Tuesday, April 18, 2006

This was stunningly good

The Manchester Passion on bbc 3 - catch it on teleport if you're posh.

They had this massive lightbox shaped as the cross which was carried through the streets of manchester, very powerful symbol.

I love it when stuff like thsi represents Christianity, you know, well.

My only slight gripe would be that they didn't do the execution scene in public buit behind closed doors, as that was what would've happened today. we do our dirty work away from prying eyes. I reckon that that power of the cross is that it seems like Jesus was made a public spectacle of, a broken, bedraggled weak and puny rebel at the hands of the all powerful Rome. in fact Jesus was making a public spectacle of the powers of darkness, triumphing over them (Collosians somewhere).

Jesus said when I am lifted up I will draw all men unto myself - in the Manchester Passion he wasn't 'lifted up'.

BUT it was still absolutely great. I loved it when the risen Jesus was seen at the top of manchester town hall screaming 'I am the resurection and I am the life' by the stone Roses.

M

No comments: