Thursday, March 09, 2006

Some glimmer of hope


In summary: Girls are weird. So are boys. We are both equally beguiling and enigmatic to the other. If I were simple to understand, then why does my mood have a direct correlation with how Man City played last weekend? Why do I think it OK to take my tiramasu into the pub 2 doors away, not buy a pint and watch TV like it's my front room? I am NOT easy to understand.

Two quotes from the 'Break up week two ' phase are these:

1. Just as it is inadviseable to go shopping for food when you're hungry, don't cast your eyes round the metaphorical supermarket of eligibility when you are a bit needy.

2. "When God decided to make a companion for Adam, I think he also had the idea of a living, walking cryptic crossword. "

This is the glimmer of hope - i used to suck at cryptic crosswords. Those of you who remember my Student assistant days will no doubt recall a sudden urge to be taken seriously which worked itself out through a desire to move from the quick to the cryptic.

Now, two years later, i still haven't finished one, but I make a damn good stab, having come very close a couple fo times. The trick is to learn the tricks and clues.

So are girls like cryptic crosswords? There are similarities - complex anagrams wheere you are expected to see the answer from what's given, weird and obscure references which you are expected to get,

and, of course, the GOLDEN rule of a cryptic crossword: Never, ever believe the literal meaning you are given:  Case in point: Girl answers in response to enquiry after her mental state and general wellbeing -  "I'm fine" (1,2,3,4) or  I'm fine (3,4,10,2,7,2,4,3,3,2,3,5,2,4,3,4)

Possible solutions to this clue, apart from the very obvious, "I am not fine"  could be "you have displeased me greatly in some way, but Im not going to tell you what", or "I've told all my best friends why i'm not fine, I don;t need to tell you, you need to work it out", or , crucially, it could be a double bluff, and she may well, actually be fine.

Side point to any sisters out there - when a bloke says he's fine, read "I havent had time to think about anything serious, what with all the toys and distractions in my life. Say, did you see Thierry Henry last night?"

This is, all of course, nonsense. girls are great, and so are boys. We need each other.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,

It makes sense. One of my favourite quotes is from the cartoon strip Calvin & Hobbes. At one point Calvin's 'grossing out' Susie (his arch enemy), and she walks off in disgust. Calvin's response is "Girls are so weird"... and, as you say, so are boys.

I think you're description of a bloke's "I'm fine" is spot on! I certainly find that anyway!

Umm... I gotta scram to get to a lecture on time, but I find your blog really helpful Matt - keep blogging!

MattCrossman said...

Rich
(i write this in full knowledge of your in lectureness)

I am SO pleased to see your C&H references. I got my first collection when I was 10, and i have everyone ever published I think.

My favourite C&H always involves the snowmen, having a dig at the art world. "What's wrong with Easter island? I LIke Easter Island" ...

Ro said...

Lol. Thanks for the post Matt - I agree with Rich, keep blogging, it's helpful to us too.

I can't say I know much of C&H, apart from the odd strip sent me by a friend.

I was very amused by this post. Speaking from experience (of being a girl that is) I think you're very spot on with girls' responses - I laughed quite hard, cause I certainly seem to always say "I'm fine" no matter how I actually am. It's an interesting thought being a 'walking cryptic crossword' though. To be honest, again speaking for myself but probably true for many others, if that is the case, then I don't think I'm doing very well at solving the crossword myself really, let alone anyone else understanding it ! It's just the way we're made though I think - I know certainly that I can be very complicated sometimes, so much so that even I don't understand. (Which is why I find the thought that God knows each of us better than we know ourselves very reassuring !)

It's so cool though, even if confusing, that guys and girls are so different. We compliment each other. Always interesting hearing from a guy's perspective.

Roberto said...

1) Calvin and Hobbes rocks

2) Girls are still weird

Jammin said...

Depends on the gal. My gal's a lot more straightforward than I am. I'm the cryptic one!

MattCrossman said...

Reasons to be cheerful - 5 comments is a personal record.

Ben - I would have agreed with you about my 'gal' as was up until 3 weeks ago, but it's amazing how things change.

How much in relationships do we really know each other? that is a key human longing - o be know. We often say "he/she doesn't understand me", he she doesn't really know me . Also, if someone says something bad about us we say 'no, but IF you REALLy knew me...'

Whatever poeple say about me, the truth is much worse.

1Cor 13:12

I dont see girls just as puzzle to be solved. None of us can be truly 'solved ' as that would involve knowing in full.

Maybe a girls'love or love in particular is like a buble. Its swirls with infinite possibility, is light, airy, grceful and glorious, but you cant nail it down or its bursts. You can't handle it harshly or it bursts.

M