Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Outside in Fog*

Isn’t it just so odd how time is relative? When you’re enjoying life it flies by. When life is a struggle it can’t go quick enough. Time is bent.

The happy spectre of a decision to be made looms over me. I don’t want to make this call – it all seems far too final given the subject matter. When did people begin expect me to be able to make sound and rational decisions? That’s the problem with pursuing maturity I guess – stating your goal without being anywhere near it but people’s expectations are informed by it.

Why is it so hard to hear from God on matters of the heart? The decisions which affect your emotional stability are the most crucial ones – so why are the hardest decisions the hardest to hear from God about? I wish I could post a Venn diagram about the overlap of my will and God’s. I wish there were more of it. Too often I listen to the lies for they offer safety. Trusting in God always was a bit hairy!

Give ear, O Eternal, to my prayer,
heed my plea for mercy.
In my time of trouble I call You,
for You will answer me.


*with homage to Coraline

2 comments:

Ro said...

I definitely agree with all you said Matt, and I can especially identify with: " Too often I listen to the lies for they offer safety. Trusting in God always was a bit hairy!" especially in the light of the decision I've just had to make ! I hope that whatever it is that you have to decide, God will give you wisdom and clarity.

MattCrossman said...

ta ro. He has and will continue to do so.

Being in scary places is God's gift in a weird way. When your stretched you can see where you end and wher God HAS to begin otherwise you're scuppered.

You ever asked for increased faith? Expect to have the opportunity to grow in it. You ever asked for increased patience? Expect the opportunities to be patient ...

James 1:2-4

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perserverance. Perserverance must finish it's work so that you may be mature, and complete, not lacking anything."